With a Valentine’s Day Open House on February 14, 2017, Mann Library officially introduced the newly refurbished Consultation Area on Mann’s first floor to the Cornell community. Thanks to new computers and better furniture, lighting, signage and privacy, Cornell students, faculty and staff can now find here a welcoming and high-value center for a range of customized help at various stages of their research process. Also featured: An improved collaborative workstation, with screen-sharing capability, that can accommodate as many as five people and be reserved in advance. On weekends and after 6 p.m. on weekdays the collaborative workstation is available for general use.
The Consultation Area has been a collaboration between several Cornell programs and Mann Library. Links below provide information on the daily schedule for specific services available in the Area:
- CISER (Cornell Institute for Social and Economic Research) —Help with computing, software, and data questions
- CSCU (Cornell Statistical Consulting Unit)—Consultations with a staff statistician on any aspect of statistical research, analysis, & presentation
- RDMSG (Research Data Management Services Group) —Assistance with data management at any stage of the research process
- Mann GIS expertise—Help with geographic and spatial data applications and analysis in any discipline
- Writing Walk-In Services (WWIS) —On-site discussion about specific pieces of writing or questions about writing with trained graduate and undergraduate students
- Knight Graduate Writing Service—On-site consultation about specific pieces of writing or questions about writing with experienced writers and teachers of writing from multiple disciplines
- English Language Support Office—Tutoring for international graduate students, professional students, and post-docs on writing, presentations, and pronunciation.
First piloted in 2015, the newly furbished Consultation Area is an important step in Mann’s goal of providing “one-stop shopping” for scholars needing research support….and gives our Cornell community one more reason to love their library!